From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:34:56 -0400
At 12:00 AM 4/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I've only kept bees for five years so don't know anything about
>Jumbo Dadant Hives. Reading about them they seem like they would be easier
>to work and most beekeepers would only need one box for a brood chamber.
>Brother Adam used these at Buckfast Abbey.
>  Why did they get discontinued?

Since no one responded to your question, I will. The frames were too big. A
regular sized frame can hold 5 or 6 pounds of honey and if it is not well
built, it will break. The bottom bar may pull off or the ears of the frames
may snap. This is especially a problem if the frames are old. I have no
idea how working the jumbo hives would be, but I imagine the frames would
be very awkward to remove.

Most people would rather have a smaller frame than a larger one. The ideal
hive is made of all deep supers. But for the sake of one's back, a
shallower super for honey is a very good idea. Also, if one uses deeps for
brood and shallows for honey (over an excluder), the chance of moving
apistan contaminated combs and honey around is significantly reduced.
Peter Borst
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/plb6/