From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:23:58 -1000
Troy Fore writes-----

> I have resisted posting replies to some of the off-the-wall comments on
> the proposal to expand the Honey Board because of the title of the BEE-L:
> "Discussion of Bee Biology." But the latest.....

Maybe you should have kept on resisting as I hope you have opened a huge
can of worms and that they all come out and stop the legislation before it
is too late.

> ..... pushed my button too hard. He posted, on behalf of Joe Rowland:

Joe Rowland has a very good article in the February issue of American Bee
Journal and many important points have been clearly articulated.

This legislation has been developed by the packers and the producers
who are known to bee grass roots and unorganized are about to let this
become the law of the land. The one penny which is paid now by the
 " First Handler" is in fact paid by the producer in lowered offering
prices.
You know $.63 per lb. instead of  $.64 per lb.The proposed increase of
one penny per lb. will for sure be an additional tax on the producer PLUS
a huge intervention by GIANT uncle government into the business of
honey production. Why in the world would honey producers want another
one penny tax.  Question Where is the money on this issue???
Honey packers and government.Honey packers because they will get
the lion's share of any benefit of the National Honey Board just like they
 do today.And government wanting to get into everybodys business.

> There is no way the beekeepers can lose control of the Honey Board.
> Producer members have to hold 50% of the seats. The proposal has been
> endorsed by American Beekeeping Federation, American Honey Producers
> Association, National Honey Packers and Dealers Association, and Sioux
> Honey Association.

Yea so what . These are the same organizations that sit back while the
Honey
BEE ACT OF 1922 gets abolished and gutted by fradulant and illegal rule
making by the USDA to allow NZ bees to transit USA territory (HAWAII) and
will be happy for these same foreign bees to be allowed into the US there
by
effectivly turning over the destiny of US beekeepers  to a foreign nation.

If there is so mich wide spread support of this assesment program why not
a volunteer  assement program controlled by producers.Mandatory
assement on imports for the privilage of selling in America.

> Finally, it will have to endorsed by the assessment-paying members of the
> industry before it goes into effect. The legislation in Congress simply
> lets it come to a vote of the industry. Ask yourself: Why don't the
> opponents want to allow the industry to vote on the proposal? After a
> thorough airing at the ABF Convention, it was endorsed unanimously.

Why does the oppisition resist bringing this to a vote.Why do we need to
have a vote on a new tax system enforced by the federal agents. This whole
program has been put together by the BIG BOYS who understand the
system and how to play the system. The National Honey Board in it's present

order serves the packers and could care less about producers. I know what
they
do and do not do. I am a producers/packer who saw the light several years
ago
and saw the huge support system available to those who play ball with the
NHB.I have played ball and have been turned off to the slant of the
organization
in favor of packers at the expense of producers.

If you want to help stop this packer oriented legislation write your
representative
 in WAshington this week and don't delay. Remember the packers know their
 way around  D C and will be sure to let their feelings known.The American
Honey Producers could have a louder
voice IF they come to ACTION.
NOW IS THE TIME FOR ACTION.

Also write Robert Smith, Chairman of the Committee on Agriculture,1301
Longworth HOB, Washington, D.C. 20515-6001  ; Thad Cochran, Chairperson
of the Agriculture and Ruarl Development Committee,SD-136, Washington,DC
20510 and also Secretary Dan Glickman, Department of Agriculture,14th.
and Independence Ave.S.W.,Washington, D C 20250.

-       Walter
Lord, make my words be as sweet as Honey, for Tomorrow I may have to eat
Them

             Walter & Elisabeth Patton    808-964-5401   Hawaii Time ?

                Hale Lamalani B & B             Hawaiian Honey House
            House of Heavenly Light        Beekeepers & Honeypackers

                 Bed & Breakfast         and       Honey Bee Dude Ranch

             www.hawaiihoney.com              [log in to unmask]
                 27-703 A. Ka`ie`ie Rd., Papa`ikou, Hawaii  96781

                   " The Beehive, the Fountain of Youth and Health "