From:
Angela Copi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:59:08 -0500
Jerry,

When does the kudzu bloom down there?  Up here in central Virginia it starts
in mid to late August.  At one time the woods behind where I keep my bees
was full of the stuff.  I spent a lot of time during its bloom looking for
bees working it and only saw the occasional honey bee (but the cartpenter
bees liked it a lot).  My feeling is that it is, at best, a minor source.
On the other hand, I've heard bees like sassafras, but have never seen one
on my trees when in bloom (early April).  Many variables, and a great honey
plant one place (or one year) ain't worth spit under different conditions!
If I had dark honey come in toward the end of the season like that in my
area my first guess would be smartweed.

Keith Copi
Richmond, VA