From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:40:18 -0500
"I guess it's all about greed Allen, or maybe hate would be a better word."

One of the larger west coast packers used to have difficulty getting
enough Ross Rounds to satisfy his customers.  Such difficulty, in
fact, that at one point he gave Tom Ross the largest equipment order
he (Tom) had ever had, so the packer could 'give' it to beekeepers
willing to produce Ross Rounds for him!

Well, about 5 years ago a certain beekeeper was finishing his order
for this guy for many thousand Ross Round sections.  Guy calls him up,
says "I got stuck with an entire container of Ross Round sections
produced in China, and can't take what I have ordered."   Explained
that he (West Coast Packer) thought he was ordering a few hundred to
see what they looked like, the guy didn't speak English well, and the
packer ended up with 50,000!

Well, the sections got sold; they always do.  The West Coast Packer
can't find a source to buy any more.  Calls me every year, and I tell
him the large producers, but they won't deal with him.

I got a few sections.  Of course, the Chinese copied our equipment.
Did a pretty good job at it.  Finished sections looked real good, but
the taste was strange.  Not sure why it hasn't continued to be
imported, but I think I'd know it if it were.  I thank the American
distributors/dealers for not buying the frames, rings, and covers as I
am sure it has been offered to them.

I am in the plastics business.  The JZBZ stuff is priced very
modestly.  Can't figure why some breeder would be interested in saving
pennies.  Don't they realize that the result could be that JZBZ might
not be available at any price?  How would they like to be dependent on
China?  I can tell you I would personally shudder to think of making
the investment in molds that these guys have done.

On the other hand, why would someone import a premium product like
comb honey from China?  Don't they worry about the consumer finding
out?

Why won't we (beekeepers, packers, etc.) get out there and support
country of origin labeling and promotion?  A rhetorical question...
--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.