From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 21:55:46 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> How are the rest of you doing with apiary protection?

Ernie -

I too had my black bear problems - three damaging attacks in two years.
These hives were located in far northeastern Wisconsin where the bear
population has increased in recent years.  I built a bee house with
rough-sawn wood from the local mill - about 12 ft by 12 feet with a shed
roof.  It is not as fancy as the ones I have heard of in Europe, but I
can protect 8 hives.

The bears were back this spring.  The hives inside were not touched, but
I had one bait hive sitting outside with one drawn frame and the rest
foundation.  The bear broke in, rejected the foundation, and made a
snack of the tasty drawn frame.

This seems a good solution for a small-time beekeeper.  If you wish I
will send you a photo, but it would make a rather large file and I would
not choose to post it to the list.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, Illinois USA
(and Athelstane, Wisconsin)