From:
Bonnie Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2015 07:22:54 -0700
Thanks, Dick….though I’m not sure how you came across our survey.  Actually, losses reported in the 2014 survey (for 4/1/13 - 3/31/14) were 40%.   Highest losses reported since survey began in ’09 were 53%.  (The 2015 survey won’t close for another few days, but when I last looked, it is possible we will have our lowest reported annual losses to date…potentially in mid-30s range.)

http://bonniebeecompany.com/wp/projects/2009-present-marin-county-bee-census-survey/ <http://bonniebeecompany.com/wp/projects/2009-present-marin-county-bee-census-survey/>

Not surprisingly, mites are biggest problem and many people here don’t treat.  Survey reflects higher rates of loss with those who don’t vs. do treat:  50% vs 30%.   Starvation is another problem...particularly in some areas of the county (we have many diverse microclimates despite our relatively small size)…and particularly with our ongoing drought.  Lack of March & April rains means nectar dries up quickly / early.

My husband and I have a small local breeding program (this season, have sold about 100 nucs).  Our breeders are selected from colonies that have overwintered a minimum of two years without treatments (not just chemical…we do not drone cull, etc. either), though we do use some IPM with oxalic dribble in fall on colonies that show no resistant traits and use those bees for nucs if they survive winter (if you can call our post fall season “winter”).  For the 2014 season, our losses were 25.5%.