Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:36:36 -0500
I have heard this for years. The basic premise that honey contains more "solids," and the darker the honey...the more so-called solids it contains.

You did not hear it here.

What you read, or should have read, is, "dark AND high in solids".

The two things are different and separate.

I, personally have not seen the two necessarily associated, except in the case of melter honey which can be dark, and also contain what I assume is fragments of charred coccoons.  Nontheless, others have often reported an association between some fall honies, which are dark, and bees which come down with digestive problems.

Good question, though, what is meant by, "solids", and if they are the real problem with using such darker honies for wintering.