From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2014 15:42:44 -0500
Bee liners;

I sampled some dead bees today from the entrances of a few hives I left in
a bee yard that has a history of Nosema problems.  I picked up freshly dead
bees from the entrances and did a gut squash (thanks Randy).  I saw
thousands of N.ceranae spores in several guts samples but am not set up to
count them yet.  It is too cold to examine the hives to see if there are
other symptoms but I am curious.  Of course the big question will be what
to do when I do find high spore loads and sick bees......

I have pretty much abandoned 2 yards that have a history of spring
dwindling and an inability to take up feed, and this sample is from one of
the problem yards.

For those of you who do spore counts, what do you do when you find high
numbers?

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC