From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:31:51 -0500
Wooly worms mostly all black

Persimmon seeds spoon and knife

Humming birds left early

Bees getting ready for cold winter

Usually indicators but not always right.

Also Old Farmers Almanac predicts long cold winter.

On the other side the trees are just starting to turn and even in Iowa and illinois when I was there a few days ago.

Wind still from the south and little rain.

In long cold winters in Missouri past October is usually cold and rain with north winds now.

Bees still working asters which is the last flow in my area before winter.Queens anns lace done in most places.

Still feeding some hives but ready for winter in Missouri.

First hard freeze next Tuesday.

I am ready to head south myself but will still be awhile before I leave.

A early winter always catches many beekeepers by surprise especially after a mild winter.

Some sad beekeeper faces in the Dakotas.
You hear about tthe tens of thousands ofcattle dead from
The big snowstorm on summer pasture but not the large
Number of hives lost by the unexpected couple feet of snow andcold.

Government shutdown so no help but government workers are out picketing even though they are going to get paid for sitting on their ass?

Looking for a job other than beekeeping?

Apply for a government job as it seems always hiring and expanding.

Bob