From:
25 Hives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:49:00 -0800
PLB writes, "Bees do not attempt to heat the hive. Any heat coming off of the cluster is waste heat, like the heat coming off of a car engine."

No argument from me.  But it does make me ponder the effectiveness of wrapping hives.  In Southeast Missouri, it doesn't get cold enough, for long enough to warrant wrapping and our environment is really humid.  I advocate upper entrances for ventilation, and more and more, I leave the screen bottom board open on the hives that have them.

Local bee clubs around here seem to enjoy the conversation and discussion of wrapping, even insulating the hives for winter as if the bees heated the hive like we heat the house.

Grant
Jackson, MO