From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 01:21:27 -0900
Hi George & All,

>Alaska beekeeping is sure different that stateside.

Yes it is, Plenty of experts have had their try up here and found their way
back to the lower 48.

>Your statement that half the bees want to stay with the queen is a GOOD
>reason
>not to have that queen.  Bees are NOT like we humans who endear our mother.
<

The statement was aimed at the swarm queen not the supersedure queen.

>Find for me one bee scientist or bee researcher that will agree with you,
>and
>then
>I want a scientific explanation from him.

I think Dave C. has already dud that but landed on deaf ears.

>This might have been great in the 17th century when bees were skep kept and
>each year a skep was sacrificed to gain perhaps 10-15 pounds of honey.
>However,

Skep kept bees were inherently selected for swarm type strains not
supersedure type strains

>Further, science as shown
>that
>bees descending from constant superseded queens are inferior, disease
>prone,
>and
>lose all of their genetic good qualities in favor of the "wild animal"
>approach.

Can't believe everything a scientist says can you?

>         Further, it has been WELL PROVEN by bee scientists that swarming
>almost
>never happens with a VERY YOUNG queen, because she is so capable of
>producing
>enough queen pheromone that inhibits worker bees from building queen cells
>that she can have a colony of 40,000-60,000 bees and no swarm cells.

which proves that no scientist ever did any research in Alaska where Swarms
will issue even from 1st season package bees because of Alaska's long day
light summers and the constant nectar and pollen flow that occurs up here
from April through August with no break. Like the experts say "Alaska
beekeeping is sure different that stateside". Swarms unless managed properly
is something that beekeepers will most likely get up here even if you do
requeen in the fall. The rules are different up here. I sometimes have to
laugh at what I hear you say concerning beekeeping George. You seem to put
beekeeping in a box but up here a beekeeper has to step out of the box.

>so he requeens every fall to prevent swarming during a nectar
>flow,
>because YOUNG queens just don't swarm, assuming an intelligent beekeeper is
>exercising PROPER bee MANAGEMENT.

I agree with the PROPER bee MANAGEMENT but as stated above the YOUNG queens
just don't swarm rule does not apply up here.

>          I am BLUNT, not by nature, but found that no one ever paid any
>attention to
>nice sayings; but rather "woke up", paid attention, listened to you,
>challenged you,
>and then they were mine to TEACH and INFORM.

But you never kept bees in Alaska, maybe you still have things to learn like
I do.

>          Even though I strongly disagree with you, I appreciate your reply
>and feelings.

Sure, just remember this is not Maryland and things are different and some
of these differences make a big difference in how other beekeepers need to
manage colonies.

. . .. Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ Caucasian Bee Keeper, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,