From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:24:50 -0700
Eugene Makovec wrote:

> many reports of bees ignoring honey
> plants this year and not thriving. Which is the way things
> started last year.

I travel up and down California's Central Valley for my
sales job. Our crops are irrigated. Every time I stop by
flowering crops I see healthy honey bees like these:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/dava.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/davc.jpg

The "save the pollinators" activist groups seem to think
that if hedgerows were planted around fields like these:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/davc.jpg
native pollinators would flourish, hence reducing growers'
dependence on honeybees.  I have a hard time imagining
how hedgerows could make such a meaningful difference.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.