From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2017 09:03:42 -0500
I searched the BEE-L archives before creating this post to ask the below question.   I saw where Milky Spore was referenced in a 1999 question, but no answer was ever posted.   Milky Spore was also referenced in a 2005 post in reference to control of the Japanese beetle.

My questions is:

Is there any evidence which shows the use of milky spore will work as a control of Small Hive Beetle larva?

Per the label, when applied at the rate of 1 level teaspoon each 4 feet (and then watered in), the milky spore is supposed to continue to spread and fill in between the 4 foot spots and continue migration though the soil for up to 10 years.

Milky spore will cause Japanese beetle larva to terminate.  The Japanese beetle larva is a food source for moles and once the food source is eliminated, the moles should move to more productive feeding grounds.

Just for grins, I am putting the milky spore down in 4 ft grid pattern around my colonies.   It would be great if it helps eliminate the SHB larva, but if it does not, it should cause the moles to go elsewhere instead of burrowing underneath the colonies.

Thanks,

Steve

Central Illinois