From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:18:13 -0500
> Now that Brushy Mountain is gone, how does
> that affect the legal use of oxalic acid for
> varroa treatment?

Good news for once! It doesn't.

It appears that the manufacturer of ApiLife Var, "Chemicals Laifs, PA", has
an office or sales rep in Sacramento named TSG, who has picked up the
registrations for the "approved" Oxalic.

Not sure, but they appear to have been the actual supplier of the oxalic to
Brushy, which makes sense, as Steve Forrest spent a pile of his own money
years ago to get IR-4 approval for ApiLife Var, with no idea of what sales
would be, so they "owed him".

One can verify this for each state by going here:

http://npirspublic.ceris.purdue.edu

Select "Searches" on the top menu, then "State Public", then click on your
state.
Then, type in 91266-1 as an "EPA Registration Number"

And one finds something like the below, with both "Api-Bioxal" and the old
Brushy listings shown.

So, we are still "legal" to use 100% oxalic acid in the USofA, and we can
buy it in pre-packaged, premeasured doses, or for $5, one can buy a scale,
and measure out one's own doses of the generic pure 100% oxalic acid one
buys "on the street".

But let's get real - if large-scale operations were still using cow ear tags
to kill varroa long after they were told that the dose was too high, I doubt
that anyone is going to fault anyone for their selection of source of oxalic
acid, even if it comes from Ace Hardware.  That said, you may not believe me
when I say "$5 scale", so here's just one of them below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200g-0-01g-Mini-Digital-display-Pocket-Gem-Weigh-Sc
ale-Balance-Counting-GZ/163014337373?hash=item25f469635d:g:MH4AAOSw3mpXIyEz:
rk:2:pf:0

https://tinyurl.com/y9t4vz7p

But using "street oxalic" is not without its risks - there used to be simple
plastic 0.1 gram accurate balance scales for use in gem weighing, with names
like "GEM-7" and "MyWeigh". They were $3 in dozens, so I bought a bunch of
them for the Absolutely Free Bee Class students, so we could have a
"weigh-out party" and make up hundreds of oxalic doses after class one
Sunday.  But someone (we assume the NYC Parks Dept security guy) freaked out
when he saw us all intently measuring white crystalline substances into
postage-stamp-sized zip-lock bags, called NYPD, and I had some 'splainin' to
do to an understandably not at all amused pair of police officers. As usual,
the explanation "We are just beekeepers..." did the trick.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= NPIRS Data Below =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

API-BIOXAL
EPA Registration Number: 91266-1-73291
Company Number: 733
CHEMICALS LAIFS.PA
C/O TECHNOLOGY SCIENES GROUP, INC. (TSG)
980 9TH STREET, SUITE 400
SACRAMENTO CA 95814
Registration Yean 2018
Percent	Active Ingredient