From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:21:12 -0500

> What it looks like to me is that the varroa are under control but the DWV
> is through the roof. And yet, no DWV symptoms.

I'm not looking at any other BeeInformed sampling, just the explanations
and information you provided, but I don't see enough to draw that
conclusion.

You have a few random samplings of mite counts. Some may have been fully
accurate. Some may not have. That happens sometimes in taking random
samples. But even still, you don't have mite count samples taken at times
when, in connection to the treatments, you can definitively say the varroa
population was X on such and such a date right before the treatment, and Y
on such and such a date right after the treatment.

So, I come to multiple potential conclusions:
1. Your actual mite counts pre-treatment were high, and your samples
provided incorrect results. Your treatments were effective, but the DWV was
already there at that point.
2. Your treatments were ineffective, and the DWV was transmitted regardless
of the treatments.
3. Your samples were accurate, and your treatments were effective, but
mites immigrated from a different location.
4. DWV has been transmitted by a method other than mites.

Which one? I don't know. Not enough data. I believe you know what you're
doing probably more than I do when it comes to monitoring mites and timing
treatments. My gut tells me it's probably #1, but I don't know the answer.