From:
Larry Farris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 19:26:41 U
                       Subject:                               Time:7:00
PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Gathering Swarms
Date:5/3/95

For a general question of an intriguing nature (at least to me), one of
our club members asked if anyone had ever heard of someone catching a
swarm or feral colony that had a "marked" queen?  Since its common
knowledge that the old queen is an early departure from the colony
during swarming season (leaving behind a new, young queen) it seems
reasonable that occasionally a marked queen would be captured . . . but
I have never heard of one being caught.  Also, can anyone expound on
their experiences with marking a queen, only later to discover that the
mark is no longer present on the queen's body?  This has happened to me
more than once (and yes, I'm sure it is the same queen, i.e., no
supersedure had occurred).  I have used liquid paper (white-out
correcting fluid);  what else could be recommended?  Answers to the LIST
may be helpful to new beekeepers, of which I've noticed there are
several recently.  Otherwise, my E-mail address is