From:
Kathryn Kerby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2014 21:00:19 -0700
I'm brand new to the list, and I'm definitely not a bee expert.  I'm a
recreational beekeeper and environmental biologist by training.  I'm here to
learn more about the scientific research being done on honeybees and what
trends, risks and options are being found as a result.  However, I am very
interested in the comments made about the availability of untreated seed.

We've been farming now since 2000, and we became very well acquainted with
the National Organic Program in 2012 when we attempted to get our farm
certified organic.  We didn't quite measure up in a few ways, mainly due to
livestock housing issues.  We're still working on those improvements so that
we can apply again and get certified this time.  But our pasture, veggie
areas and hayfields passed the inspection process with flying colors.  Those
lands haven't been sprayed or treated with any kind of synthetics in 40
years.  And we've NEVER been forced to buy, had economic incentive to buy,
or chosen to buy treated seed for any of the crops that we grow.  Under NOP
organic certification, it wouldn't be allowed anyway.

So I'm curious with this latest post that researchers went to "local
organic/ farmers market growers" and they were all using treated seed.  If
they were using the USDA organic label without being certified, then they
weren't following organic standards while trying to benefit from claims of
doing so.  If they were certified organic, they could lose their
certification for using treated seed (and pay some hefty fines as well).  I
don't know which exact seed species/varieties were being considered by those
growers, and/or whether the growers involved were certified organic or
merely claiming such.  But untreated seed is out there, without huge
economic disadvantages from using it.  In fact, the customers that we grow
for insist on untreated crops, and would dump us in a cold second if they
found out we were using treated seed.  Most of the growers I know, certified
or not, chooses untreated seed a majority of the time for a wide range of
veggies, row crops and fodder crops.  I can't explain the discrepancy
between our experience and what the researchers were told.  But there's
something else going on there that was driving the decision to use treated
seed.  If growers want or need or prefer to use untreated seed (and many
insist on doing so), there are many good sources.  And they won't
automatically suffer huge yield reductions or quality issues for doing so.
Kathryn Kerby
Frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA