Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 23:07:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
>Looking over the data, the values for the Ukraine are all off by 1000 ... However, I see no reason to dismiss all the data on the basis of an error related to one country. There may be other errors as well, but the big picture seems accurate. 

The word credibility means to be trusted.  Maybe they only made one error affecting one country, but it is an extremely important country.  It's one of the top honey producers.  Being off by a factor of 1000 on a big component quickly skews all remaining data.

Personally, I see no reason to accept ANY data in a report when I quickly see large mistakes.  It would be foolish and ignorant to not dismiss faulty data.  We know the info is incorrect, and unless we are willing to doublecheck every piece of information in the report, then we must be suspect of everything.

If your investment advisor recommended a portfolio, but you knew numbers were off by a factor of 1000 on at least one recommendation, would you invest ANY money in ANY of the recommendations?  Personally, I would use extra scrutiny on the advisor, and if continued mistakes were found in subsequent reports, I'd fire them out of laziness/incompetence. 

The big picture may "seem" accurate as portrayed by the authors, but how do you "know" its accuracy, especially when you find glaring errors?  You simply can't, because the report is not credible.  It is not believable.  The authors lied.  Personally, when I encounter people I know to be liars (or BS'ers) I pay little attention to them.  It is irrelevant that much of what they say is the truth.  It's easy to argue that the big picture they provide seems accurate since most of what they say is the truth.  That stance will also get a person in deep doo doo real quick.

I'll leave you with 2 common sense quotes.

There's a sucker born every day.

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble.  It's what you think you know that just ain't so.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2