From:
William G Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 1994 14:22:20 -0400
Yellow Jessamine Poisoning

In reference to Dr. Sanford's comments on yellow jessamine
(Gelsemium sempervirens) poisoning of bee in Florida this spring,
eastern North Carolina has a history of problems with jessamine
poisoning.  I did some work on the problem while an undergraduate
at N.C. State University.  In the 1970's there were a number of
queen breeders in eastern N.C. who routinely moved their grafting
operations 100 miles west during the jessamine bloom because they
would suffer 90% queen mortality if they stayed in place during the
jessamine bloom.  We tried pollen trapping during the bloom but
without much success.  We do not see problems with honey production
colonies, but the queens were adversely affected.  The poison in
jessamine is an alkaloid and is very toxic.  All parts of the plant
are toxic, so its use in the landscape should be considered.  It
is a popular ornamental vine, there are even double flowered
sports, such as the cultivar "Pride of Augusta", but all are
potentially dangerous.  As a matter of interest, we have blue or
purple brood in N.C. too, but we get blue honey too.  The blue
honey comes from titi and sourwood (Oxydendron arboretum) growing
on certain soil types.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, N.C.
--