From:
PO Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:02:49 +0100
J Waggle wrote:

> Presently doing just that!  I have managed thru intense selection to get
> 98% brood viability and still the colonies have a natural ability to keep
> varroa populations at very small numbers.  This season fall I managed a
> harvest in spite of reports of a relatively bad fall flow from other
> nearby beekeepers.

May I ask how big crop you got average, compared to what you used to
get before varroa?
Lots of talk about varroa resistant bees, but is any of those claiming
success also getting honey crops possible to make a living from?

I have been selecting mainly for vitality and honey production. My
average for the last 4 years has been 95 kg that the bees collect in 3
months during our short summer at lat 60. This is not possible without
very strong colonies. This means prolific queens. Lots of brood, but
also very good breeding ground for varroa. If I had less prolific
bees, less honey, I would get less varroa. Simple maths. If I had
really low reproducing bees I would not have to worry about varroa.
But I would not make a living either... So, for us that are dependent
on bees for our living, we need figures and facts, not dreams and
visions. The difference between colony survival and a good honey crop
is huge.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson