From:
"Matthew W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:49:24 -0600
From: "Michael Palmer" <[log in to unmask]>
> I've often wondered...do bears like brood or honey the most? I know Winnie

During early spring bears will take down brood & ignore honey as their
digestive tracts aren't yet able to take down sugars.  By fall they'll
certainly dine on both brood & honey.  I've never seen a  hive scavenged for
one & not the other during fall, so 'preference' is likely which end of the
hive they start in on.

Most beehive-bear-vandilism will occur during late fall (Sept-Oct).
If a bear hits your hives, you have good odds it'll be back the very next
night & likely between dusk to ~2am.

This is information I've gleaned by unfortunate personal experience and
rubbing elbows with our Div. of Wildlife during a study we shared with a
dozen of my hives a few years ago.  Bears are predictible in the information
above & unpredictable with everything else (approach, size, appetite, etc.).
Could be an immature bear that tipped your hives & couldn't stand the stings
before he ate something.  They're smart animals & shouldn't be
underestimated in protecting your hives.  The surest prevention is a bullet
as far as I'm conerned, having lost 56 hives during one 3-day snowstorm
years ago to a 400+ lb. bear whom ate a few & tipped the remainder.  I won't
hesitate if I find one has tresspassed my fences.  That said, I do the best
job I know to keep my fences prepared/monitored so it doesn't come to a
showdown with some deviant bear.

To answer your question on 'vandals or bear' -- Were the hives all tipped
toward the same direction?  Were ANY frames pulled from the hives?  Were the
hives tipped away from the safest 'human' route for escape (i.e. away from
trees/shade/bushes)?  Look for signs.  Human vandals can be predictable too.
They'll take the shortest route to escape from stings & usually push the
hives away from their safety, away from the direction of their home, &
likely all in one direction.  Not many vandals would 'circle' an apiary to
knock them over from different angles.  Change your mindset & look at it
from a coward's point of veiw & you might find your answers.  check the
grass for repeated steps by bent/pressed grass.  People vandalizing will
take the same path to & from their target.

How would you prevent additional damage?
Place the hives in plain veiw & notify neighbors to watch for vandals.  A
few quarts of honey does wonders for 'sentry pay'.  Set out noticeable
barbed wire with secure posts to ensure there is NO safe exit for someone
running back & forth while tresspassing/vandalizing.  You have to remember
that vandals likely won't be wearing bee suits.  ----

Or simply pick up your stakes & move them.

Matthew Westall - E-Bees - Castle Rock, CO
-where we had the best year perhaps 'ever' in Southern Colorado for '04 -
making up for several years of drought '00-02.  Many gave up more than 300
lbs.  Another beekeeper saw a fresh super filled (uncapped) in a single day,
with a witness in tow.  Unheard of for Colorado.  We love you Knapweed!