From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:12:49 +0100
Hi Adrian & all

>     With all the evidence at variance with the language hypothesis
> finally now all readily available, why do language advocates continue
> to ignore the extensive body of that negative evidence?

One feature of the whole wrangle about bee communication (of which dance is
only a part) is the polarisation into two groups...

One group accepts the majority of the work so far and draws a set of
conclusions. The other group picks on some of the anomolies (yes, there are
some bits that are not perfect), and by using logic, language and
abstractions that are not mainstream, sets about slagging off the work done
so far.

My own words and statements have been modified and twisted beyond belief on
several occasions by dance detractors. Harranging individuals and claiming
'institutional bias' is not the way to convince people... Just show an
auditable trail from one statement to the next that is not only feasible,
but hangs together properly and then the point of view may get more respect.

Recently, during the bombardment of your supporter Ruth Rosin that I and
Norman Carreck were on the receiving end of on the Irish List, I mentally
re-visited my own appraisal of the situation (my thoughts are never totally
rigid) I can honestly say that I shifted my ground on some minor points, but
my overall conclusion remains the same.

To me the 'truth' is important, but anything has to be shown to be true by a
consensual process that is understood by the majority, whether I am
personally right or wrong is of no consequence. Minority views that use
'special logic and language' that is only understood by an elite few will
always be regarded with suspicion by publishers.

Best Regards & 73s, Dave Cushman... G8MZY
Beekeeping and Bee Breeding Website
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman