Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:26:58 -0400

> You really can't compare Canada to the U.S other than casually.

Actually Canadian beekeepers led the way on breeding Tracheal tolerance in
bees. Also they championed Oxalic and Amitraz when both were banned for use
in the US and Oxalic still is while Amitraz is limited in its distribution.
They have been at the forefront of Bee research and controlling Varroa. The
fruits of that research is evident with low winter losses.

Their climate is not much different than many parts of the northern US
where many large commercial operations reside.

What they suffer from is an inability to match the larger losses in the US
where there are things like Varroa, nosema, virus, ... sorry, they do have
them there. But no neonics.. but they do have them there and pollinate
canola.

So I guess that the main thing that separates them from us is they cannot
match our large losses, hence are not as good at keeping bees as we in the
US.

Shame on you Canada! Makes me embarrassed to be so close to the border. But
then, all my hives survived the winter, so I guess it rubs off.

And now for something completely different. in a before passports visit to
Canada I showed my military ID to the French Canadian guard at an
infrequently visited crossing. He asked if I had any "AK47s" in the car
since I was military. I said no and that I was in the Navy and was in
charge of missiles and would have difficulty carrying them around since
they were 20+ feet in length.

Smiling he said,"Are there any in your trunk?" Like I said, it was
infrequently visited. Just as soon as another car arrived, he waved us on.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine