From:
Dave Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:55:56 -0600
Although I don't, at the University of Nebraska Bee lab is a visiting
scholar from Egypt
is studing ways to increase royal jelly production.  I have watched his
presentations several times and adapted them to raising my queens.

He forces all the bees from a hive into just the lower box (see weekend queen
rearing at my site www.libertybee.com).  He grafts and raises queen cells
the same way.  The only difference is that immediately after they are capped
he pulls the two queen cells frames and harvests the royal jelly.  He reuses the
hive a second time, then rebuilds.

To harvest the honey, he cuts the end off the queen cell then uses a need to
remove
the larvae and a specialsmall spoon to scoup out the royal jelly and
immmediately puts
the royal jelly into a dark (light proof) plastic cup.  This process is
manual and time
consuming, thus the high prices you see at health food stores.  The entire
frame of queen
cells yields no more than a couple ounces of royal jelly.