From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:00:08 +0800
This discussion started as:-
"Converting Deep Boxes to Mediums - Thoughts?" but has encompassed discussion on Long or Horizontal hives. I too have a back problem so it stimulated me to do a little searching on these alternative hive designs, and I was frankly amazed at the different number of designs out there!

This site http://beehivejournal.blogspot.com.au/2010/01/alpha.html lists 300 designs, many of them bearing the name of the beekeeper who "invented" it, aka Robin's "Dartington" hive.

The long hive is, needless to say, nothing new. Here in Western Australia they have been around for longer than my 40 years of beekeeping experience. Here they are referred to as "Coffin" boxes, and that's not a reference to the inventor! They evolved from a desire to maximise utilisation of the truck tray space and carrying capacity.That being the case they were/are usually 8ft long, since maximum truck width allowed is 8ft 2in. With dividers these accommodated  6 x 10fr colonies with separate supers for each colony. Langstroth full depth was almost exclusively the frame dimension of choice for both brood and honey supers. Needless to say, unless one desired to finish up inside a coffin box (!), loading was effected mechanically. This was done utilising an overhead gantry which, once on-site at the destination apiary site, could be extended out over the rear of the truck to enable off-loading to the rear, usually placing down 2 units before moving the truck forward.

This migratory configuration also accomodated individual hives on long pallets spanning the width of the truck.That became, and is still, a very common configuration for our migratory commercial beekeepers, since truck mounted loaders are still the most commonly used here. (Because of our sandy terrain and confined spaces in the forests, the trailer mounted forklifts which are commonly used elsewhere, present us with logistic problems when shifting bees.)

Another evolution which has ocurred here, and which has also involved the coffin box design, is the use of metal as a hive construction material. Our climate is such that colonies in metal containers or boxes, fare quite well, indeed thrive, since they do not have to contend with the extended very cold winters of the northern hemisphere. Another advantage of these hives is the weight saving they offer over timber, an increasingly important consideration when comparing transport economics. With metal hives here, the most important insulation requirement is in fact the lid, not so much to prevent overheating from the sun, but to prevent heat loss during the cooler months and during the night. Apart from that, sheet metal is ideal for hive construction here, with advantages of low maintenance, lower cost, and many choices of colour!

Of course this wouldn't work in many places, but I am sure there are also many other places where it would.

PeterD

in Western Australia, where it's mid winter and the bees are working well, although my feet and nose are quite cold.