From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 13:27:51 -0500
I will give an opinion .

>I use open barrel feeding and to medicate with Fumidil B,

With open feeding the strongest hives gets the lions share and a weak hive
might not get the required amount to control nosema.

The only time I see open feeding as valuable is after all other feeding is
done and I want to shut down Italians. Feed is expensive (especially now
many of us have moved away from HFCS.) In my opinion keeping barrels full
uses quite a bit more syrup than only giving the hives needing feed. When
shorthanded or time is a concern open feeding is certainly a viable option.

In California before almonds one year a beekeeper next to us (we had three
semi loads) was open feeding 10 barrels. We had to do little feeding that
year!
Our bees were always at the neighbors.

When you open feed you can end up with back breaking hive bodies filled with
syrup in spring in the lower Midwest. May work in Canada but I prefer to
feed as needed. 60 pounds stored honey will winter in our area. Open feeding
can put 120 - 160 pounds in each hive.If going to almonds in January then
stored feed can cost you semi space.

I also believe moving hives onto a fall flow is better than feeding or
pollen patties and well worth the fuel and labor costs.

I feed when needed and only when needed in my area. I feed to stimulate
but about 10 pounds over what it takes to winter is plenty for my area for
winter. Very rare with a four wheel drive feed truck and as much hose as
needed I can't get feed to bees in spring.

It is my opinion that the bees come to life quicker in spring with syrup
than stored honey. Gets the girls adrenaline pumping!

Summer feeding:
After a pollination or honey flow a strong colony at maximum strength needs
a half gallon a week to keep from shutting down brood production. This may
be
the most valuable information I ever posted on BEE-L for the commercial
beekeeper. Took me years to get the amount correct.

> I plan on dusting.
>Any concerns with this method?

I don't see why dusting would not work but most of us would like to give all
meds in syrup AND ALL AT ONCE!

bob

--
believed to be clean.