From:
Tim Hiatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:18:49 -0800
Congrats, Paul!

Commercial beekeeper here, we lost our usual 1/3, after having bought some
loads of bees in late summer to make up for early losses. If not for that
losses would have been higher. We treat with amitraz mostly with thymol
occasionally. For me, that 1/3 is the fraction lost between the peak hive
number during summer honey production and the bottom number going into
almond pollination after wintering. I'm not sure how everyone measures
their annual loss.

I spoke to another large beekeeper in WA who lost 50% before winter. They
said that was unusually high for them.

Tim
eastern WA