From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2015 00:43:13 -0500
> I tend to disagree with James who said that where
> bees cannot thrive, humans cannot thrive.
> Humans live in all sorts of places...

But "can live" is not thriving, is it?  "Thrive" implies far more than mere
"live" or "survive".

This is exactly why the "Million Trees" group lived up to its name, so that
the local environment down here would be that much cooler, that much
shadier, that much more pleasant to be out in.

> like the Arctic tundra, out at sea, in cities
> where they are seldom out of doors,
> going from room to car to room.
> So, people can live in an essentially artificial world.

I've been to both the arctic and antarctic, I've circumnavigated twice, solo
both times, and I have greatly enjoyed both going from air-conditioned car
to air-conditioned buildings in the shortest possible time everywhere from
Kula Lumpur to Phoenix, AZ.  Omaha NB in February had to be the worst choice
of destination I've ever made, as there simply is no clothing warm enough
for that place when the wind is blowing, which it always is.  In all of
these places I listed, I relied on man-made things to keep from dying very
quickly in one way or another.  Maybe I am exaggerating about dying from the
heat, but power failures kill the very old and very young just about every
time they happen in very hot places.

In contrast, bees actually thrive everywhere except the near-polar extremes
without much help from man, or his technology, as long as man does not foul
up the water, the air, or the land too much.  So, for bees to make a living,
man has to clean up the worst of his messes.

Let's say I'm wrong, and cleaning up and/or restoring some semblance of a
local ecosystem does not really help bees much.    The clean-up is still a
worthy effort, as an ecosystem worthy of the name is a valuable prize in
itself.