From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2015 09:31:08 -0500
Hi all
I guess I was thinking about something deeper and broader than people should care about bees or the environment because of its impact on our own personal lives, well being and happiness. Something along the lines of a more integral, positive relationship where it's not mankind and nature, but rather nature (of which we are a part). Thoreau wrote

> There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance, is a very slight interference. It is like directing the sunbeams. All nations, from the remotest antiquity, have thus fingered nature. There are Hymettus and Hybla, and how many bee-renowned spots beside? There is nothing gross in the idea of these little herds, — their hum like the faintest low of kine in the meads.

PLB