From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:06:48 -0600
<Here's a quote from the bee lab in Tucson lab that
stated they were seeing resistance in the ferals as
far back as 7 YEARS AGO!

I am very familiar with the Erickson/Hines report. One of our first big
wastes of beekeeping research dollars. My comments on this report is in the
archives!
This research was not done on feral colonies! But domestic stocks.
Quote from the report:
"Our results demonstrate that it is indeed possible  to produce & maintain
varroa tolerant strains of honey bees out of DOMESTIC stock"

The report also said the AHB in the bee labs  yards were no more varroa
tolerant than the test colonies. I wish I could say what I am thinking but I
got in trouble years ago on BEE-L talking about this report.
Sorry Joe but the report is not about feral colonies!

>Here's a study that showed a 'domestic breed' DID NOT
stand up against the 'wild bee breed'.

Joe you really need to read these before posting. This study is not a year
old? Proves nothing. Primitive! Most likely the hives died from bad
beekeeping practice over the Illinois winter. 97-98 were tough years because
of varroa. Proves how easy grant money is to get and how primitive research
can find its way on to the net in incomplete form.

Purvis Brothers:
"As we all know the wild bees are few and far between.
The ones that are surviving may simply be surviving
because of natural resistance or maybe the pest load
is too low to completely overcome these colonies."

I agree completely with the Purvis Brothers quote! Dann says "true survivor
ferals" are few and far between but exist. Dann gives his opinion as to why
and I concur completely!

Bob