Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2013 11:26:39 -0700
 > Failure of OA treatment can be explained by the following:
 > 1. Failure of sublimation treatment:
 >          1. The ...screen ... is clogged with dead bees.
 >          2. Too much brood that have many mites
 >          3. bees robbing failing colonies full of mites

True.  In my case, however, I checked these things and was quite certain
that I had reduced the varroa to low levels.  But, as with all these
methods that are dependant on hive geometry, position of the cluster,
etc., there were variations and there were a few exceptions which had
levels higher than I liked, even after five sublimations.

I went into spring with acceptable levels, but found that the levels
were too high for comfort by August.  OA was not an option then, but
Apivar was.

The OA treatments had simply been unable to achieve the low spring
varroa levels that Apivar can achieve.  With Apivar, we often see that
after a spring treatment, no treatment is required in fall.

I believe that if I ran singles or doubles, that the results would have
been better.  I could have improved the application method over using
two simple Heilyser evaporators.  I think, for example, that blowing in
the OA from the top with a special lid makes a lot more sense for me
than injecting it into the bottom and is better for the operator and can
be better monitored.

Personally, I just concluded that using OA sublimation at this time in
my operation was too much work and resulted in variable success.  Using
Apivar was simple and cheap, so I decided to go that way.  I guess now
that I'll see how well that works for me.