From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 17:24:57 -0300
As explained before two season ago my mid flow formic treatment failed. I
still put the patties on (it patties+formic pads the idea). Well at the end
we end up with well over 30% varroa in average. After harvesting our late
Ulmo flow, we lost 600 put 1800 colonies we had at the mountain.

I new that was going to happen, but I prefered honey rather than using a
contaminating alternative to knock varroa.

Well, but we learn the lesson, so we treat three times with syntetics .
Cumaphos in winter (end june) with no brood. Amitraz during blueberries
(oct) and Fluvalinate after the flow (april). By May we had no varroa what
so ever (or that we can see in the shakes), up to 40 millions of nosema
spores on the high ones, and close to nothing in the less stressed hives.

We did nothing for nosema.

After winter we had lost 300 colonies out of 2400. We gave fumagilin in
spring.

We are happy and thinking which synthetic are we going to use this season.
But still without been able to really solve our main need to feed at end of
summer flow by knocking varroa, that is the only way our late Ulmo flow can
be tackle.