From:
"Evans, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 21:55:32 +0000
Dear Randy and bee fans,
Thanks to you and Peter for the careful reading. We'd like to respond to your comments and again explain why this study, while imperfect, goes a step beyond prior colony sampling efforts, mainly, as below, by knowing the precise age of those bees that 1) died in the nest and 2) were sampled for pathogens. The paired study, which relied on more standard sampling of live nest bees, gives a link between this study and a large number of published bee health projects and surveys, mostly in the US and Europe.
   As you and Peter suggest, no-one has carried out a robust analysis of the bees that die some meters/miles from the nest, as appealing as that would be. My favorite design would be to place colonies on a raft with prevailing shoreward winds and collect the dead-on-the-wing ones as they drift in, but no-one has yet sent me to the right coastal/lake setting. A big tent might work also..
       Below, please find responses to your latest questions, followed by our full correspondence (tedious but it might give you and readers more insights into why we did what we did). Both papers are out now (PlosOne and Applied Envt Microbiology) and we are happy to send pdf's to anyone interested,
All the best,
Jay and Benjamin

Jay Evans, PhD
USDA-ARS Bee Research Lab
BARC-E Bldg 476  Beltsville, MD 20705 USA
Ph 301-504-5143  FX 301-504-8736
BRL members: http://ars.usda.gov/PandP/locations/people.htm?modecode=12-75-05-00<http://10.9.55.201/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://ars.usda.gov/PandP/locations/people.htm?modecode=12-75-05-00>
Colony Loss Network: http://www.coloss.org/partners/evans<http://10.9.55.201/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.coloss.org/partners/evans>

>The explanation of this is that nosema is further advanced in the healthy colonies because they live longer, giving nosema a longer time to develop. As I have oft noted, ferreting out cause and effect is difficult, but not impossible. I think they are elucidating the concept that high levels of particular microorganisms should not be taken as an indicator of declining health and could be the exact opposite. Healthy colonies tolerate these levels better than colonies that are weakened by some other factor.
    *this is interesting, and yet one does see a correlation between 'living' bee Nosema loads and nestmates that died, albeit those in the nest. The concept of a 'forbidden' combination of pathogens such that Nosema plus that other actor = a quick death is beautiful and we and other groups are eagerly mixing and matching those combinations to look for this.

Pete, you hit the nail on the head!

I have been in correspondence with the authors since their previous paper, pointing out that exact fact.

An inherent problem with their analyses (both studies) is that they only analyzed either live bees from the broodnest, or dead bees caught in entrance traps.  What they DIDN'T analyze were the majority of sick bees that flew off via the normal process of altruistic self removal.
   *correct, we sampled 2/3 of the ideal study groups.

Of the 14,500 young bees that were marked, the researcher apparently only recovered a few hundred (he is loathe to give me an exact figure).  It is well known that when bees are individually sick from either viruses or nosema that they fly out of the colony to die--this is a typical sign of either virus- or nosema-caused colony collapse.
       *As below, in Benjamin's earlier correspondence with you, the recapture rate across colonies was 12-15% (slight variation across colonies) so the recaptured bees numbered just under 2000 bees. We don't know of similar studies that can tell us if this is too low, but that doesn't seem like such a surprising number for Sept-May turnover in Switzerland. Anyway, it is what it is and we're sorry you thought our reply below was too vague, that was not the intent.

The problem with analysis of the surviving bees in the hive is that you miss the sick ones!  This is why the cause of CCD is so difficult to determine if you only study the handful of remaining bees.Look at it this way:  The "symptom" of acute virus or nosema infection is for a bee to disappear from the hive.  The symptom of smallpox in humans is pox marks on the skin.

*As (way) below, altruistic suicide is appealing but more needs to be done to assume that is the major or only fate for infected bees.

So let's imagine that we are studying two populations, one of bees, one of humans, both with raging epidemics of those respective pathogens. However, since any bees mortally sick from virus or nosema would be "disappeared," then we could only study those without the typical symptom.
    *This logic holds only if those suicidal bees did so very soon after infection, we predict that loads build up prior to death locally or by 'suicidal' flights, and that live sampled bees are more likely to carry Nosema if their nestmates were also (fatally) infected. We see bees with 100 cells or 100 genomes of Nosema/virus respectively, and others with 1M+ copies and feel the PCR tests are very capable of picking up pre-suicidal bees. Statistically, to the extent they exist, suicidal bees will decrease our power to see a trend but bees sampled inside the nest (including mid-winter in Switzerland) seem like a good predictor of their nestmates' suicidal tendencies.

If we studied the human population that was suffering from a smallpox epidemic in the same manner, then we would have to also omit any with the typical symptom--meaning that we could not analyze any humans with pox marks. Obviously, in the human case, we would then likely have a hard time making any correlation between mortality and smallpox.
   *Again, this ignores the fact that diseases incubate for some time, PCR methods would see the smallpox virus in pre-symptomatic folks