Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:36:23 -0800
Hi Matt,

My first question is where do you live?  How much experience do you have?
Their is a difference in management between carniolans and Italian colonies.
Just because you have sucess with Italians doesn't mean you can't do the
same with another race! Carniolans build up in the spring very rapidly and
need in my opinion a little more care than italians.  Here is a list of
characteristics:

1.Rapid population build up
2.conserve honey stores
3.gentle(as long as they are well breed)
4.overwinter on smaller honey/pollen stores(until brood rearing begins)
5.rob less(they will if you allow it)
6.very white cappings(the best for comb honey in my opinion)
7.not much brace comb or propolis
8.forages well in inclement weather also a little farther
9. swarms if not given enough room
10. dark queen can be hard to find for some people(get her marked)

For more info go to http://www.apiphyt.com/carnica/

Part of the joy of being a beekeeper is trying different things. So have a
go with carniolans. I would keep them in three deep chambers. Reverse them
in the normal way. Make a split with one of those deep boxes, super both as
usual and recombine in the fall. This should make for very strong colonies
in the spring and help with swarming.  Good Luck.

Clayton Huestis