From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:10:04 -0700
> keeping the varroa under control is not hard if one is willing to change
> the combs to do it

Keeping varroa under control is only a tiny part of the problem, and
changing combs is not always necessary, except where combs have become
contaminated due to disease, age or pesticide applications.

Keeping varroa under control is easily accomplished *many* different ways.

The real problem is keeping varroa under control while making a living
producing commercial amounts of honey, pollinating crops and operating in
many diverse areas where other beekeepers--possibly with other agendas and
schedules--are keeping bees as well.

The demands of commercial beekeeping are very different from those on
hobbyists and those who make their money in other ways than soley from
beekeeping.  These demands may conflict with varroa control requirements and
result in tough, even impossible, choices.

> away from the upsizing of the past 100 years.

We have been over this and over this.  There has been *no* universal
upsizing of bees in the Americas.

> It would also help with contamination problems

Agreed.  Changing combs and eliminating old wax is advisable in cases where
pesticides have been used in hives.

> and problems of not accepted feeds as talked about on the list here.

Not sure what ' not accepted feeds ' means, so cannot comment

allen