From:
Thom Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:58:24 -0400
Hello,
    I have used this method 1 time with success (my 2nd year) in a colony that
was built up from a recent swarm. The queen's pattern was spotty and I was
replacing her with a Carniolan from a major breeder. I could not find the swarm
queen after several attempts (due to lack of experience), and the colony was in
my backyard close to neighbors. I was attenpting to find her with the least
disturbance to the colony, for the neighbor's sake. It worked on the second
attempt in the same afternoon. I have not tried this method since then,  (I
have become rather good at spotting queens). I had to carefully sort out
adhering bees to spot her. With additional thought I feel the details may be
worked out with this method. But then again, there I go thinking.
    Mr. Gustafsson is correct though, bees don't react logically, they react
instinctively. As much as I try to reason with them, they have a great time
displaying how wrong I am sometimes. I swear I heard (the 5 lb swarm I
recaptured twice from my own primary yard Sunday) laughing with that serious
belly laugh.
The worst that can happen is .... they say "No."
Thom Bradley
Chesapeake, VA