From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:56:58 -0400
"Didn't cause environmental problems" is not a statement that can be
confirmed.  What data there is suggests it is not true. As a biologist
I've become one of the canaries in the coal mine. I used to do toxic
spill responses in shorts and a t-shirt that nowadays we realize require
respirators and moon suits.  I also did literature reviews on known
toxicities of agricultural chemicals; in most cases the absence of data
was astounding, and this was in the 70's and early eighties when there
was still some basic research happening.  Some chemicals that had been
studied minimally had profound effects at low levels, for example at 6
parts per trillion toxaphene caused spinal defects in fish. There are so
many hormone disruptors out there now that it is almost impossible to
sort out what is causing what.

I have permanent liver damage (determined by biopsy) from chemical
exposures (formaldehyde and ag pesticides mostly). Even before that I
had to read every label of everything I put in or on my body for fear of
a food coloring, FD&C Yellow No 5, that was grandfathered in the fifties
and which still kills many people by causing asthma and remaining
undiagnosed despite its appearance in the Merck diagnostic Manual. I was
lucky to figure it out for myself, my MD said "I should have thought of
that"; I had the lungs of a 90 year old at age 40.

"There's no evidence that a substance is a problem" often just means
nobody has studied it or we don't know enough about the biology of the
organisms to determine problems.  For Creosote and Penta if there is
enough evidence to qualify as superfund then it's probably pretty bad
stuff.  I haven't time to dig out the data, but even an internet search
should show something.

If anyone should appreciate the research deficit it is beekeepers.  The
rare cases where the research is thorough on chemical impacts on bees we
can't even get people to follow the law.

Carolyn in SC