From:
Sharon Labchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:53:52 -0300
Bill Lord wrote:

"I am interested in information on honey testing for export markets -
practical information - what is the minimum analysis required by
importers, what are the differences between EU and US requirements, what
are the costs, and who are the reputable labs.  Any information will be
appreciated."

The link for the following article is no longer valid - they don't seem to
archive stuff for any length of time.  I haven't heard anything about this
ban since the article was published. I assume US honey must be in the same
boat.

Sharon Labchuk

CANADIAN HONEY BANNED IN EUROPE
April 3, 2001

Ontario Farmer

<http://207.229.10.88/ontariofarmer/pages/Info_active/farm_general/farm_gen
.html#article2>http://207.229.10.88/ontariofarmer/pages/Info_active/farm_ge
neral/farm_gen.html#article2

Canadian beekeepers say they're powerless to do anything about new European
regulations banning Canadian honey because it isn't certified GMO-free.
CBC reports trace amounts of GMO canola have been found in Canadian honey
shipments.
That has led to a ban in Europe and could potentially cost beekeepers a
substantial amount of income. The European move has already driven down
honey prices.
Canadian beekeepers say they have no control over the plants visited by
their bees and there are plenty of canola and wheat fields in their foraging
area. They also say they're helpless to do anything about the ban because
it's expensive to test honey samples for GMO content.
After filtration, honey is left with just 0.1 per cent pollen, the article
says. A Canadian Honey Council spokesman said that's a very small percentage
and, on that basis, the product should be declared GMO-free.