From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:00:42 +0800
Claude said
>....Back to my eggs only situation, there is plenty of protein available as attested by the
>presence of solid frames of pollen collected for the last six weeks from various sources and
>not used as there are no larva.

Sorry Claude, I jumped in too quickly, and should have re-read your original posting. I have done that now.

I am assuming that you have other colonies headed by queens from a different source in these same yards and that these are not behaving in this way and have brood in all stages?

If so, then its a very, very interesting and unusual situation!

Juanse's suggestion to transfer some of these frames of eggs to another colony to see if they will raise them normally would be interesting to try, but of course won't solve the problem.

These queens may be of special interest and value to a researcher (like Ben Oldroyd for example) but in terms of saving your colonies, requeening seems like the only solution. You could transfer some sealed brood from another colony into the eggs-only colonies to help keep them going for a short while, but this too is no solution. Keep us posted on the situation....I am sure many others will be very interested in the outcome.

PeterD