From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:17:55 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, crpost
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>EFB is a stress related problem. It is widespread throughout the world. In a
>recent disease survey in South Africa it was confirmed that EFB is widespread,
>not a major disease problem and appears not to spread significantly within an
>apiary (Capensis Research Programme Final Report 8/5/2000(CRP)). The belief is
>that every colony actually contains EFB, but only shows symptoms when under
>stress.
Thank you for your contribution. I have written a short article for my
newsletter and will send it to the BBKA for consideration for theirs.
The question was about whether the greater wax moth can be a vector for
EFB. My concern arises from it having come into our area and being very
hard to get rid of over 3 years now. We have noticed much more wax moth
presumably because of the death of wild colonies and gwm dealing with
the unused wax. Your letter takes me back to Len Heath's position that
it is endemic (actually I am agreeably disposed to other disease models
wherein so-called pathogens such as bacteria can arise from within the
affected organism because it is in an unhealthy state - stress being one
cause of poor health). to get to the point, may I use your posting in my
next edition of An Hes? May I quote it extensively in my submission to
BBKA. If you agree, I will email you the proposed paper.

Thank you.
--
James Kilty
editor An Hes