From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:20:43 -0500

Quoted material from www.newscientist.com

> The drive for "green energy" in the developed world is having the perverse
effect of encouraging the destruction of tropical rainforests. From the
orang-utan reserves of Borneo to the Brazilian Amazon, virgin forest is
being razed to grow palm oil and soybeans to fuel cars and power stations in
Europe and North America. And surging prices are likely to accelerate the
destruction

> Rising demand for green energy has led to a surge in the international
price of palm oil, with potentially damaging consequences. "The expansion of
palm oil production is one of the leading causes of rainforest destruction
in south-east Asia. It is one of the most environmentally damaging
commodities on the planet," says Simon Counsell, director of the UK-based
Rainforest Foundation. "Once again it appears we are trying to solve our
environmental problems by dumping them in developing countries, where they
have devastating effects on local people."

> The main alternative to palm oil is soybean oil. But soya is the largest
single cause of rainforest destruction in the Brazilian Amazon.

Quoted material from www.newscientist.com