From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:49:57 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/00 11:31:10 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Will my doctor start nagging me to get rid of the bees? >>

   Not likely. Maybe nag you to get desensitization shots. I'm not willing to
venture a guess if you are developing an allergy, but I'll share my anecdote.
I'm allergic to yellowjackets. I received desensitization shots. They start
with 1/100th of a full sting and then take you up to the equivalent of three
stings. After that, they recommend periodic maintenance shots. I took the
course of treatment up to 3 full yellowjacket stings and then opted not to
have periodic maintenance shots. That was  about 5 months ago.
    Yesterday, I got stung on the arm by a yellowjacket. Didn't get much more
reaction than I get to a honeybee sting. I conclude that the desensitization
treatment worked and the maintenance shots may be superfluous. However, I
still keep an epi-pen handy.