From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:35:01 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

It looks  like he was right. In the past two decades, the United States has
lost 100-300  billion bees, and the problem has spread to Europe and
beyond. While  industrialized beekeeping operations do kill millions of bees each
year,  several other factors contribute to their massive  die-off.

Not just bees but all manner of insects. A few days ago I was on a long
coach journey coming home from the Normandy beaches (including visiting the
vast  US war cemetery near Omaha Beach). Normandy is cider country! There are
lots of  small orchards and every garden has an apple tree.  There are lots
of small  fields with flowering hedgerows. It's also cheese country with
lots of small  herds of dairy cattle grazing flower-rich fields (which is why
their cheese  tastes so good).

By the time we left Normandy, having started clear, the windscreen of the
coach was almost opaque from impacted insects and the driver had to get out
his  mop and bucket to clean it. Further east, the landscape and agriculture
changed  with large fields, fewer flowers and more 'industrial' arable. The
driver  cleaned the windscreen again as son as we had arrived back in
England, having  been through the Channel tunnel, but it was nowhere near as
dirty as it had  become during the first leg of the journey of roughly
equivalent distance.

Thence we headed north towards Cambridge, skirting London and passing
through commercial agriculture for 100 miles. The windscreen was hardly
spattered at all and the driver didn't bother to clean it.

Chris