From:
Lucinda Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:02:21 +0100
Hope this helps,

I recently put a swarm inside my workshop. (Long story) I left a vent window
open facing the entrance and they used it happily, they also did not
reorientate to their original home a mile away (because I left the window
closed for 48 hrs I think) Anyway they don't carry the dead bees out the
window. I'm not sure if they are removed from the hive, or die just outside,
but there are enough dead bees on the floor to smell bad. I moved the hive
to the roof above the vent window and closed the window. Bees were
reorientated 48hrs later (none going to window before hive) But they're my
bees, so their memory is questionable...

Observation is good, and tomorrow I'll be sweeping the workshop and will
measure the bees, but perhaps the idea will work? Put the hive in a caravan,
and collect the bees they drop.

John Sewell