Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2013 19:15:54 -0400
Here, in the UK, while Lesser Wax Moths are considered to be indigenous
and common, Greater Wax Moths were a rarity until about a decade ago
and now they are fairly common (global warming?) . A lepidoterist
friend told me that, when moth trapping, at times when moths that were
known to have crossed the English Channel were caught, Greater Wax
Moths were found with them.  This isn't conclusive evidence that they
can migrate long distances but is a strong indication.

Wax moths have been described as the 'beekeeper's best friend' as they
invade dead and thus undefended colonies and consume the old comb that
may have been riddled with disease organisms.  Hmmm..... I wonder
whether, when they have bred and multiplied in dead colonies, they
might migrate to living ones and transfer spores faecally.  This has
just occured to me and so I have no evidence or references either way.

Chris