From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:04:33 -0400
> Ask farmers to drink water from the wells on their farms and try to conceive babies.
I am on a farm with well water and admit I find it difficult to conceive
babies. But it ain't the water. Mostly gender.

But this actually has to do with the subject line. We now live in a
world dominated by "news singularities". One person who has a problem is
put in front of a camera and the singularity is elevated to the entire
population. CCD is classic. A small, in relative terms (it is never
small when it happens to you), bee die-off was elevated to 80% kill-off
on the east coast of the US, and bees disappearing nationwide, when none
of this was true.

Well water is contaminated in some places and is not in others and not
because of pesticides. But all you need do is put a person in front of a
camera and it becomes gospel. The
environmental/organic/holistic/natural/sustainable/you-get-the-drift
groups know this and perpetuate myths on the public to foster their
agendas. All you need is one victim, real or not. All they need is to be
fed the buzz words. Just look at the word "Commercial" or "Big" and all
they do is add whatever they want after it to taint them. Big
Agriculture, Commercial Beekeeping- easy isn't it.

I have many commercial and organic farmer friends. I have helped them by
working for them for free.The sane one have to make a living from what
they do. The crazies are the hobbyists who work at jobs outside of the
farm, since they cannot make a living from their practices.They are also
the ones who rail the most. Real farmers, organic or otherwise, know how
hard it is to make a living.

I practice organic beekeeping and farming, but I could never make a
living from either, unless I could sell my hand-picked Tomato Horn Worms
and Japanese Beetles. I have loads of them. All my apples are
cosmetically marred, because I do not spray. Same goes fro Beekeeping.
Like Dee, fortunately my money comes from elsewhere.

There is a truism- the further you go from the farm the more fervent you
are for "animal rights". You could paraphrase that with- the further you
are from making a living from farming or beekeeping, the more fervent
environmental/organic/holistic/natural/sustainable you are.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine