From:
steven buczkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2016 12:37:20 -0400
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:29:22 +0000
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> via Christina Wahl:
>
> "Sensation" is the ability to physically acquire a signal.  You and I
> have no sensation for infrared radiation, for instance.  Pit vipers
> do.
>

> Sure we do. It's called heat. We can't see it, but we can certainly
> feel it.

Venturing a bit afield since this started as discussion of hearing but...

You have to be careful when describing the electromagnetic spectrum outside the 'visible' range. VIS is very narrow and anthropocentrically defined, other ranges tend be rather broad. 'Infrared' covers a spectral range range roughly 0.7-1000 micron. IR as sensible heat that both we and pit vipers can sense is mostly longwave-IR (roughly 8-15 micron wavelength) although you can probably broaden that out to 3-15 micron (requires standing next to some HOT items, though). Human visual perception caps out in the red at around .7 micron. That leaves a human sense and perception desert in the Near IR from .7 to 3 micron.

To make a long story short, both statements have kernels of truth but are incomplete stories.

steven

Steven Buczkowski

Email: [log in to unmask]
2m/70cm: KB3RRJ (147.135+[156.7]/448.275-[156.7])
Smoke Signal: Two long, Two short. I'll send a rider.