Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 00:15:45 -0400
Hi all,
After 10 year of keeping bees and being stung innumerable times,
today I had a very different experience. Generally, I can be stung
multiple times and simply have a small local reaction for a short
time that I'm sure most of you are familiar with. Well, one of my
hives has been a little hotter than usual since being swatted by a
bear with a long reach (thru the fence), and today while going into
the bottom deep to remove a drone comb frame, I was hit at least a
dozen times. Typically, even a dozen stings would only be an
annoyance (and I'm not just acting heroic). Today, though, after
putting the hive back together (it was the last hive I opened), and
putting away my tools, I found myself back in the house, doubled over
in pain with intense stomach cramps, slightly dizzy, and ended up
crashing for a couple hour nap. By this evening, I'm feeling better,
but my stomach still feels worked over a bit. I never had any trouble
breathing, never felt my throat closing up, etc - the things I've
always thought were allergic reactions.
According to the USDA website <http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/
docs.htm?docid=11067&page=1>, "Stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, or
diarrhea" are listed as "Systemic, Allergic, or Life-Threatening
Reactions" and I'm now wondering if I'm lucky to be here.

Was today a fluke? The combination of not a big enough breakfast on a
hot, humid day? Or is my body suddenly developing an allergy that I
have to worry about? Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks in advance,
Kurt

Kurt Allerslev Reynertson, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology