From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:30:45 -0400
>  As Bob keeps indicating Florida use on citrus may be a prime culprit

Long before CCD I was involved with problems in citrus. I was visiting large beekeepers seeing large losses in hives in citrus and after citrus. A bag was shown me of a product named temik. I was told:

" you need a subject to write an article here it is"

hence the first article published in a bee magazine on systemic pesticides:

"The Neonicotiniods More questions Than Answers" (American Bee Journal)

The product was one of the first systemic pesticides (produced by Union Carbide) and sold to Bayer.

I saw first hand the damage the crap did! I have seen first hand the damage imidacloprid use on orange trees does to bees.

Imid is not as bad as temik was in my opinion but still causes problems. Not every beekeeper in orange sees problems but many do. Not every orange growers uses imidacloprid. Some stop before the label cut off time to protect the bees.

The problem then:
Citrus growers did not need bees to make a crop and canker was killing trees.

(problem now is citrus canker is still killing tress even with systemic pesticides)

Florida was producing most of the worlds orange blossom honey. Not now.

the above was my first experience with systemic pesticides and chemical companies denial of problems.

Imidacloprid is now used. Not as bad still causing problems.

>hat much anymore, but apparently
it is in Japan according to other post today.

As I have said before I lived in japan as a young man (3 years) and lived for a time with a Japanese family. I learned enough Japanese to know what was being said on the video was not exactly the same as the English captions in places.
Can another member of the list which speaks Japanese verify what I am saying?

The problem I see with pesticide companies is they convince rice growers they need these pesticides when these people have been growing rice forever with minimal losses. The problem is not the pests but the parasite pesticide salesman.

 The video brought back memories. I lived near Misawa on the northern tip of Honshu. Apple & cherry region plus rice.

bob