From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 17:51:48 -0500
Hi all

Excellent idea, Micheal.  I have a few comments:

>1.      The mix with 100% granulated sugar wasn't too stable.  That is, the
>MO tended to separate out fairly quickly.  The powdered sugar substitution
>improved the stability.  Another solution might be to run the granulated
>sugar through a high-speed blender to pulverize it somewhat, thus increasing
>the sugar surface area to be coated by the MO and shortening.

Instead of granulated sugar (sucrose) I have used dextrose (corn sugar) when
making up sugar and TM (terramycin) for dusting.  Dextrose is very fine, just
about as fine as TM and the price is not a lot higher than sucrose.  You can
find it in bulk stores or at your local home brewing supply store.  This would
mix better with the FGMO.

>4.      Top bars that have never been exposed to this treatment will absorb
>a fair amount of MO out of the mix.  This leaves behind a somewhat "dry" mix
>that presumably is less effective as a treatment for varroa mites.
>Subsequent applications will leave a greater amount of MO available for mite
>treatment.

I have been putting a thin coating of FGMO on the top of the inner cover, the logic
being that bees routinely "hang out" there in warm weather. (In colder weather I
put in on the underside of the inner cover.)  You could put your mixture there also,
although it will most likely absorb some mineral oil initially, but the inner cover
 is much thinner than a top bar so it should leach less mineral oil out.

My two cents,

Ian Watson   [log in to unmask]
real estate agent    baritone    gardener
beekeeper---> 11 colonies